If you experience high levels of anxiety, or have other conditions that make visiting the dentist an ordeal, you might benefit from sedation dentistry. This calming procedure allows you to relax during your visit so that you can get the dental care you need. We also offer NuCalm relaxation dentistry to patients who commonly feel dental anxiety.
If you would like to find out whether or not sedation dentistry is right for you, please call (914) 332-4402 or email Advanced Dentistry of Tarrytown today for an appointment with our skilled dental team.
Sedation Dentistry: A Comfortable, Pain-Free Dental Experience for All
Many people cringe at the mere mention of the dentist. Mass media portrays the sounds, smells, and sights at the dentist as something frightening that causes pain. Sedation takes the fear and discomfort out of the equation to give you a comfortable experience.
You don’t have to feel anxious to benefit from a more relaxing dental experience. You may benefit from this procedure if you experience any of the following:
- Difficulty getting numb
- Sensitive gag reflex
- Chronic or acute jaw, neck, or back pain
- Difficulty sitting still
- Need to get multiple procedures at once to match your busy schedule
Not everyone realizes that they suffer from low levels of distress during their visits. Some of the things that sedation helps with (including muscle tension and difficulty getting numb) are related to anxiety. When you experience anxiety, your muscles grow tense, and can cause pain in your jaw, neck, and back even if you do not suffer from chronic conditions. Even minor distress can trigger the release of hormones that make you less susceptible to local anesthesia.
Sedation is a Safe and Effective Procedure
At Advanced Dentistry of Tarrytown, we want to make your visit as comfortable as possible. In order to achieve this, we offer two of the most effective, safe-proven sedation methods in order to provide you with the best care available:
- Oral sedation— Two hours prior to dental work, you will take a prescribed pill that induces a state of relaxation. You will stay awake during your visit, but will feel completely at ease. Oral sedation also decreases your sensitivity to sounds and movement, and reduces pain for optimal comfort.
- Nitrous oxide—Patients with busy schedules will benefit from this inhalable gas, also commonly known as laughing gas. Unlike oral sedation, this gas takes effect quickly and wears off shortly after your visit without disrupting your day. Nitrous oxide produces a state of relaxation and euphoria while you are awake in order to ease your anxiety and relax your body.
We also offer drug-free relaxation dentistry with NuCalm. This technique uses advanced neuroscience to disarm your body’s anxiety response, leaving you in a calm, meditation-like state.
Are You a Good Candidate?
Sedation is a safe procedure that utilizes mild medication to put you into a relaxed state. Your risk of adverse effects is low, but some preexisting conditions can cause complications. Talk to your dentist if you:
- Have allergies to medications
- Are taking prescriptions for liver or heart conditions
- Suffer from respiratory conditions (especially sleep apnea)
- Suffer from poor health
We want to know about any adverse medical conditions in advance so that we can plan your treatment accordingly.
If you live in or around Tarrytown, Yonkers, Ossining, Irvington, or White Plains, New York and would like to learn if you are a good candidate for sedation dentistry, please call (914) 332-4402 or contact Advanced Dentistry of Tarrytown today to schedule a consultation.